Wednesday, August 6, 2014

All About Cassia Obovata and Auriculata!

Hello! I was researching Cassia Obovata and Auriculata and I realized that finding information of them is pretty difficult. Also, from what I've seen, the general consensus is that Obovata and Auriculata are very similar and have the same effects (also I will be referring to both as "Cassia"). I wanted to compile and add information that I've discovered and thought of by myself into one blog post. I hope everyone finds this helpful!

I also wanted to mention I have a review coming up of a Cassia brand that I tried! Stay tuned if you want to read!

What It Is

Cassia is a plant that grows in the mid and far East. It is used for medicinal purposes as well as for hair, skin and nails. Cassia is often connected with Henna, which is a completely different plant. Even though they are different, Cassia is sometimes dubbed as neutral Henna. I have dark hair and I want to use it for conditioning and other purposes, so I'm anticipating that Cassia will not touch my hair color. In darker hair, some people can achieve highlights. In blonde, white, and gray hair, you may experience a yellow-blonde tint.

When you buy Cassia, you will receive a packet of green powder that will have a strong smell of grass and mud. If you have a sensitive sense of smell, perhaps Cassia is not for you or you can add essential oils to mask the smell.

What It Does

Cassia can do all of the following:
  • Condition hair
  • Make hair shiny
  • Make hair softer
  • Clear up dandruff and dry scalp
  • Thicken Hair (although some say they have sleeker, less frizzy hair)
  • Make hair generally healthier
  • Add volume to hair (again, some people experience sleeker results)
  • Loosen curls and waves 

How to Use

 1. Wash hair with shampoo and do not condition your hair. You can have damp or dry clean hair, but the mixture will spread easier in damp hair.

2. Mix Cassia powder with warm water. (Note: do not use metal while using Cassia as it can cause adverse results.)

3. Add optional additional ingredients. Read on to find out which ingredients and why. When you are finished mixing, you should have a creamy consistency that is in a paste form.

4. Optional: Cover with plastic and  allow to cure for 1-3 hours. Some people do this to allow it to develop.

5.  Apply. You can use an application brush or your hands. I recommend using gloves at this point as the mixture will get under your finger nails. (Ew)

6. Leave on hair for desired amount of time. Cassia can be left on for any time from 30 minutes to 4 hours. 

7. Rinse out Cassia. Be careful not to make a mess. I recommend rinsing with conditioner/oil, but do not shampoo it out. Some people will shampoo it out right after, but usually you should wait 24 hours to shampoo. Whatever works for you!

What You Can Add 

There are lots of things you can add to your mixture for different benefits, so I made a list!

Chamomile Tea- some people achieve highlights from chamomile tea and even adds thickness

Yogurt- added conditioning effects

Honey- honey can add highlights and added conditioning

Oils- more conditioning effects and also can make your mixture easier to apply and can help with the smell of Cassia

Cinnamon- adds warm and red tones

I'm sure that the list could go on and on. Share in the comments what works for you because I curious!  I also wanted to mention that sometimes it is easier to keep your mixture simple. I love how much you can customize your Cassia!

That's all the info that I have! Hope I gave you guys some good info to think about!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to use Neutral henna powder cassia obovata today for the first time to condition. My hair has been dyed with Naturtint 10n. Will i still be able to use if I want?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Feel free to comment!